Follow this procedure if you are not able to boot into YDL on your PS3.
- PS3 80GB (Model Number: 98015) or PS3 160GB (Model Number: 900006). The Model Number is located on the PS3 box.
- YDL 6.1
To update the kernel:
- If you have a www.ydl.net account, download the ISO from ydl.net at the following location:
- Burn the ISO to a disc.
- On your PS3, update GameOS to the latest version.
- Select Settings: System Settings: Default System: Other OS.
- Select Yes when prompted to boot now.
- At the boot: prompt, press the TAB key to view the available installation scripts. Select the appropriate one for your monitor resolution. For example, select install_ps3_720p for a 720p monitor.
- Once you select the install script, type a space followed by "rescue". In the example of the 720p monitor, the resulting command will be:
- Press the ENTER key to begin the update.
- The installer will begin. Follow the prompts to select the appropriate language and keyboard type.
- Do not select to start the network interfaces; you can do this later.
- At the Rescue screen, click Continue.
- At the Rescue confirmation screen, click OK.
- The PS3 will display output on the screen.
- Mount the DVD by typing:
mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/source/
- Once a command prompt is displayed, type:
rpm --root=/mnt/sysimage/ -ivh /mnt/source/YellowDog/kernel-2.6.28-0.ydl61.1.ppc64.rpm
- You will see a message stating that /boot/yaboot is not in /dev/ps3da. This is normal; proceed to the next step.
- After the installation of the rpm, disable ps3vram. Using ps3vram as swap is no longer supported in the updated kernel. Leaving ps3vram enabled may cause boot issues. To avoid these issues or if in doubt whether ps3vram is enabled or not, type:
chkconfig ps3-vram-swap off
- If ps3vram is not enabled, you will see an error message; this is normal. Proceed to the next step.
- To reboot, type:
- Be sure to immediately remove the DVD from the PS3, otherwise the installation will begin again. If this happens, reboot the PS3 again and remove the DVD.